Aquatic Live Food loves all things aquaria and while we know most activities are fun to do, they can also be somewhat complicated. So, we are here to uncomplicate one of the most questioned methods – culturing algae. We also have video tutorials on this which you can watch via YouTube (see links at the bottom of the blog). If you are after a more extensive guide on culturing algae, we also have a detailed ‘Algae Culture Manual E-book’.To simplify the algae culturing process, we have divided the whole process into two, easy-to-understand parts with simple steps in each.
Part 1: Start the culture
In this part, we are simply using ingredients to create a starter algae culture that can grow and expand limitlessly!
- Gather everything you need: 1x flasks, 1x bottle 500ml (chlorine-free) water, algae nutrients, culture salts & algae culture
- Create the ‘culture media’: add the culture salts and nutrients into the 500ml bottled water = this completes the ‘culture media’. Store the culture media in a cool dark place – you will need this later on in part 2.
- Combine culture media with algae into flask: add 50ml of the culture media into the flask then put the algae culture into the flask. It is best to use the transfer pipette!
- You’re done! Now place your algae culture in a place with filtered sunlight (not direct sunlight) and shake daily. After about 4-7 days, your algae culture should be ready for part 2.
Part 2: Expand the Culture
In this part, we are simply doubling the amount of algae culture we started with now that the algae has densified and turned a dark green colour.
- Create two separate batches: take the flask of 50ml algae that you created in Part 1 and simply divide this into two flasks – 25ml each (you can use the transfer pipette or any measuring tool to do this)
- Double each volume with the culture media: Add 25ml of culture media (made in Part 1) into each flask to create 50ml in each flask.
- Done! Now you have 100ml…double the amount. Keep doing this until you are ready to put into a larger bottle and do the same – always doubling the amount of algae culture with culture media.
Youtube Video Links:
How to Culture Algae – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Z8bV3bNkM&t=4s
How to Culture Algae Part 2 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCVYatIAQo&t=2s
If you are after a more extensive guide on culturing algae, we also have a detailed ‘Algae Culture Manual E-book’.