Banana Worms are half the size of Microworms. These worms feed on feeds off yeast in the fermenting medium. Kept in a moist banana & oat mixture the banana worms quickly populate the culture and will climb the sides of the container. Banana worms are a highly attractive first feed for fry due to their relatively high-fat content of the organism (around 20% of dry matter).
This species is simple to keep and easy to feed young freshwater fish. It is best to keep Banana Worms at room temperature in a relatively shallow container out of direct sunlight. Once a culture is started, with correct maintenance it is possible to have an indefinite supply. This means you will always have nutritious feed for your fry!
Instructions for splitting the culture:
- Select another relatively shallow container that will provide the same surface area.
- Make enough oatmeal (or plain instant porridge) to cover the 1/2 the bottom of the second container 1-3cm thick, then add some banana into the mix 4 – 6cm piece mash well and add into the mixture.
- Wait for the oats to cool to room temperature before adding to the container.
- Add an even thin coating of yeast powder and stir in
- Add 1/2 the original culture to the mixture and mix through (mixture should be very moist but not covered in excess water)
- Add cover (with air holes) and wait for around 5 days to a week before worms will be ready to harvest.
Instructions for harvesting
- Once you have cultured the worms for a week they will be seen climbing the walls of the container
- Using a cotton tip swipe around the edges of the walls to collect the worms
- Wash the tip in a small amount of tank water to remove the worms
- Using a pipet add an appropriate amount of worms for the fry to eat
- Do not add excess amounts as the worms will be wasted and reduce the water quality
Instructions for maintenance
- Stir the mixture weekly (banana worms will naturally sit on the surface and need to be mixed to keep the culture fresh)
- Restart or split the culture after one month to avoid it going bad
- We recommend keeping at least 2 cultures going at the same time in case one goes bad
Banana Worms are useful to feed:
- Young betta fry
- Young cichlid fry
- Another small freshwater fry
100 gram (culture ready to harvest from)