Banana Worms are half the size of Microworms. These worms feed on feeds off yeast in the fermenting medium. Kept in a moist banana & oat mixture the banana worms quickly populate the culture and will climb the sides of the container. Banana worms are a highly attractive first feed for fry due to their relatively high-fat content of the organism (around 20% of dry matter).
This species is simple to keep and easy to feed young freshwater fish. Banana worms are best kept around room temperature in a relatively shallow container out of direct sunlight. Once a culture is started, with correct maintenance it is possible to have an indefinite supply. This means you will always have nutritious feed for your fry!
Instructions for splitting the culture:
- Select another relatively shallow container that will provide the same surface area.
- Make enough oatmeal (or plain instant porridge) to cover the 1/2 the bottom of the second container 1-3cm thick, then add some banana into the mix 4 – 6cm piece mash well and add into the mixture.
- Wait for the oats to cool to room temperature before adding to the container.
- Add an even thin coating of yeast powder and stir in
- Add 1/2 the original culture to the mixture and mix through (mixture should be very moist but not covered in excess water)
- Add cover (with air holes) and wait for around 5 days to a week before worms will be ready to harvest.
Instructions for harvesting
- Once worms have been cultured for a week or so they will be seen climbing the walls of the container
- Using a cotton tip swipe around the edges of the walls to collect the worms
- Wash the tip in a small amount of tank water to remove the worms
- Using a pipet add an appropriate amount of worms for the fry to eat (do not add excess amounts as the worms will be wasted and reduce the water quality)
Instructions for maintenance
- Stir the mixture weekly (banana worms will naturally sit on the surface and need to be mixed to keep the culture fresh)
- Restart or split the culture after one month to avoid it going bad
- We recommend keeping at least 2 cultures going at the same time in case one goes bad
Banana Worms are useful to feed:
- Young betta fry
- Young cichlid fry
- Another small freshwater fry
100 gram (culture ready to harvest from)